John Fitzgerald (John Fitzgerald “Jack” Kennedy) was the 35th President of the United States, serving from 1961 until his assassination in 1963. After serving as commander of motor torpedo ships in the Army during World War II, Kennedy served as a representative of Massachusetts’ 11th District from 1947–1953. After this he served in the US Senate from 1953-1960. Kennedy later defeated then-Vice President Richard Nixon in the 1960 presidential election, becoming the second-youngest president at 43. He was also the first president of the 20th century. Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963 in Dallas, Texas. Lee Harvey Oswald was charged with the crime, but before he could be tried, Jack Ruby shot and killed him two days after the charge. Here we present a collection of John F Kennedy Quotes that are about Education, Peace, Courage and Leadership to lead an inspiring life.
John F Kennedy Quotes
Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.
- Let us never negotiate out of fear, but let us never fear to negotiate.
- “Courage, the universal virtue, is comprehended by us all—but these portraits of courage do not dispel the mysteries of politics.”
- If freedom is to survive and prosper, it will require the sacrifice, the effort and the thoughtful attention of every citizen.”
- “The stories of past courage…can teach, they can offer hope, they can provide inspiration. But they cannot supply courage itself. For this each man must look into his own soul.”
- “The courage of life is often a less dramatic spectacle than the courage of a final moment; but it is no less a magnificent mixture of triumph and tragedy.” – John F. Kennedy
- The goal of education is the advancement of knowledge and the dissemination of truth.
- Children are the world’s most valuable resource and its best hope for the future.
- A child miseducated is a child lost.
- “Too often we… enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”
“We must use time as a tool, not as a couch.”
- “Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. And man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings.”
- “Once you say you’re going to settle for second, that’s what happens to you in life.”
- “When his regard for himself is so high that his own self-respect demands he follow the path of courage and conscience that all benefit. ”
- “A man does what he must—in spite of personal consequences, in spite of obstacles and dangers and pressures – and that is the basis of all human morality.”
- “Let us not emphasize all on which we differ but all we have in common. Let us consider not what we fear separately but what we share together.”
- “The search for freedom of worship has brought people to America from the days of the Pilgrims to modern times.”
- ″In this world of ours none of us can afford to be lookers-on, the critics standing on the sidelines.”
- “Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.”
- “Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate.”
- “And is not peace, in the last analysis, basically a matter of human rights—the right to live out our lives without fear of devastation—the right to breathe air as nature provided it—the right of future generations to a healthy existence?”
- The rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man are threatened.
- If we cannot now end our differences, at least we can make the world safe for diversity.
- Domestic policy can only defeat us; foreign policy can kill us.
You may also like: Inspirational Robert F Kennedy Quotes About Change and Life
- “The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.”
- Our problems are man-made, therefore they can be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings.
- Victory has a thousand fathers, but defeat is an orphan.
- If not us, who? If not now, when?
- “The forces that moved our forebears to their great decision—the decision to leave their homes and begin an adventure filled with incalculable uncertainly, risk and hardship—must have been of overpowering proportions.”
- “The President of the United States is not subject to quite the same test of political courage as a Senator.”
- A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on.
- “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.”
- “United there is little we cannot do in a host of cooperative ventures. Divided there is little we can do—for we dare not meet a powerful challenge at odds and split asunder.
- “Liberty without learning is always in peril; learning without liberty is always in vain.”
- “The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask ‘Why not?’” –
- “Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.”
- “A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on. Ideas have endurance without death.” –
- “Our progress as a nation can be no swifter than our progress in education. Our requirements for world leadership, our hopes for economic growth, and the demands of citizenship itself in an era such as this all require the maximum development of every young American’s capacity. The human mind is our fundamental resource.”
- “Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity.”
- Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
- The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.
- “Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other.”
- Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.
- “Things do not happen. Things are made to happen.”
Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.
- The one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is unchangeable or certain.
- “Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.”
- “Man is still the most extraordinary computer of all.”
- would rather be accused of breaking precedents than breaking promises.
- Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.
- “Efforts and courage are not enough without purpose and direction.”
- “The best road to progress is freedom’s road.”
- “Partnership is not a posture but a process – a continuous process that grows stronger each year as we devote ourselves to common tasks.”
- “Ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.”